The decision by the important corporate and development services committee must now be approved by the full council in two weeks time to progress the multi-million pound scheme for new look street lighting, paving and landscaping.
Subject to the approval of the subsequent planning application the timetable is expected to be:
* November 2013 - a start to the tender process
* January 2014 - the appointment of a contractor
* March 2014 - work to begin in both towns
* March 2015 - completion of the Holywood project
* March 2016 - completion of the Bangor project.
For full story and opinion read this week's Spectator
Let us know what you think of these latest developments? Share your comments below...